Pumpkin pie is a delectable treat to pamper your family with, whether on holidays or regular days.
However, we rarely finish a whole pumpkin pie in one setting. In such cases, some storage-related questions arise. One of these questions is: can pumpkin pie be refrigerated?
The answer is yes. You can refrigerate a pumpkin pie safely. In fact, refrigeration is necessary if the pie is homemade and not store-bought.
This post will give you all you need to know to refrigerate your pumpkin pie leftovers while conserving their high quality.
Does Pumpkin Pie Need to Be Refrigerated?
You have to refrigerate your homemade pumpkin pie and never store it at room temperature if it contains eggs or dairy.
Two hours is the maximum safe duration to keep such pies at room temperature, according to the FDA.
That’s because the high moisture and protein content in eggs and dairy makes the pie prone to rapid bacterial growth.
So, you should prevent the potential growth of bacteria by chilling the pie in the refrigerator.
Why Is It Okay to Not Refrigerate Store-Bought Pies?
Store-bought pumpkin pies contain preservatives that make their quality stable at room temperature.
Preservatives conserve the pies’ taste and texture until the sell-by-date. That way, you don’t need to chill them in your refrigerator.
Nonetheless, you can refrigerate them once they reach the said date to keep them consumable for an additional four days.
Alternatively, you can freeze your store-bought pies for up to three months.
To conserve the high-quality of your pumpkin pie while in the refrigerator, follow these steps:
- After baking the pie, allow it to rest until it reaches room temperature.
- Once the pie cools down, cover it loosely with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
- Place it in the refrigerator in a spot with a stable temperature. The ideal location is the back of the fridge.
Avoid placing pumpkin pie in the refrigerator while it’s still hot. That’s because this can create condensation on the surface, which ruins its texture.
How Long Should I Keep Pumpkin Pie in the Refrigerator?
You can chill your pumpkin pie for up to 3–4 days. That said, to enjoy it at its freshest and highest quality, you should consume it within the first two days.
You can also eat the pie safely on the third and fourth day. Still, you might notice a slight change in its taste and texture.
After the fourth day, the quality of the pie will start to deteriorate considerably. This makes it unappealing to consume.
You can freeze your pumpkin pie for up to three months and enjoy it for weeks after baking it.
However, consuming it within the first month is recommended to savor the best and freshest quality.
If you plan to freeze your pumpkin pie, follow these steps to do so safely:
- Bake your pumpkin pie in a one-time-use aluminum pan.
- When you finish baking the pie, allow it to rest for two hours until it reaches room temperature.
- Cover it securely with three layers of plastic wrap.
- Place a layer of aluminum foil over the plastic wrap.
- Put the pie in the freezer and consume it within three months.
How to Thaw Frozen Pumpkin Pie?
To defrost a pumpkin pie, you need to start this process at least 12 hours ahead of serving time.
Here are the steps to follow when thawing your pumpkin pie:
- Remove the aluminum foil wrapping the pie.
- Transfer the pie from the freezer to the refrigerator overnight for around 12 hours.
- You can directly serve the pie after getting it out of the fridge or let it come to room temperature.
- Slice and serve.
A variety of other interesting topics are also covered on our website, including Do All Probiotics Need To Be Refrigerated?, Can Warmed Cow Milk Be Refrigerated Again? and Can Sushi Be Refrigerated? Is It Safe To Refrigerate Sushi?
Can pumpkin pie be refrigerated? Yes, you can chill your pumpkin pie and consume it safely within four days.
Given that, allow the pie to cool down completely before transferring it to the refrigerator. In addition, store it in a place with a stable temperature in the fridge.
Finally, never leave your pumpkin pie out of the fridge for over two hours.