Can Warmed Cow Milk Be Refrigerated Again?
Cow milk is a staple in a lot of people’s kitchens. We use it for a range of purposes. And despite this day-to-day use, many still have confusing questions about milk.
One of these questions is, can warmed cow milk be refrigerated again?
The answer is yes. You can refrigerate warmed milk again. However, refrigeration is only safe if you haven’t left the milk for over 2 hours at room temperature.
This post will share with you all you need to know about safely handling warmed cow milk.
Why Not Keep Milk at Room Temperature for Over 2 Hours?
Milk is a perishable food, which means that it’s more susceptible to growing bacteria than most other food varieties.
Keeping milk at room temperature for more than 2 hours allows for the growth and multiplication of bacteria in the beverage. As a result, milk becomes unsafe to consume.
How to Refrigerate Warmed Milk Safely?
To refrigerate milk after heating it, you should first cool it down. That said, leaving it to cool down on its own will grow a lot of harmful bacteria.
This is because it’ll probably exceed the recommended 2 hours out of the refrigerator. Thus, the safest plan is to cool the milk down by exposing it to cold water.
To do so, first, put the warm milk in a closed container. Then, place it in a bowl containing iced or cold water for a few minutes.
In addition, follow these safety procedures when storing your milk in the refrigerator:
- Store the milk in an airtight container. This protects it from absorbing odors from surrounding objects in the fridge.
- Move the milk into a clean container before chilling it.
- Place the milk away from the refrigerator door, as this place’s temperature fluctuates each time you open the fridge.
- Only keep the milk that you’ve warmed for 2 days maximum in the refrigerator. Get rid of the milk, if you don’t consume the milk during this period.
Can You Heat Up Milk Twice?
Although no harmful effects are reported from heating milk twice, it’s not recommended to do it.
This is because reheating milk negatively changes its texture and taste. Still, if you’ll reheat it, ensure you do it appropriately.
Here’s how you should warm it:
If you use a microwave to heat milk, follow these steps:
- Set the microwave to medium power.
- Place the milk in a microwave-proof container.
- Stir the milk every 15 seconds.
- Keep heating until the steam starts to rise.
If you use a stove for warming your milk, follow these four steps
- Pour the milk into a heat-proof container.
- Place the milk directly on the hob or suspend it over a pot of boiling water.
- Keep stirring every 15 seconds.
- Continue heating until steam appears.
Check out our other interesting topics page for more information like can Uncrustables be refrigerated? , Can Scrambled Eggs Be Refrigerated? and Do Apple Pies Need To Be Refrigerated?
Can warmed cow milk be refrigerated again? Yes, you can safely chill warmed cow’s milk again. However, ensure you cool it within only two hours of heating it.
In addition, follow all the mentioned-above recommended milk storage instructions to keep the milk in good condition.